The safety and proper supervision of all campers is our staff's greatest priority. Our 'Protective Oversight Plan' ensures that every individual has a safe stay at camp.
Each year our camp is inspected by the Pennsylvania Department of Health and Broome NY Developmental Services. Shepherds Camp has been approved by the New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) to care for adults with developmental disabilities. The approval process includes a full review of our facilities, policies and procedures, and protective oversight plan each season of operation.
Here are just a few of the safety precautions and procedures that we have in place:
- Campers are accounted for during all hours of the day and night
- Night staff are awake all night during the summer, indoors and outdoors
- All cabins are equipped with lighted security systems
- Hourly bed checks are conducted in the dormitories overnight
- A radio system facilitates communication 24 hours a day
- Enhanced wheelchair accessibility for housing and recreational activities
- Professional medical staff are onsite 24 hours a day